Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Pickled Eggs - Amish Style

Michele and I were tending to her garden and chickens the other day and realized we had all the ingredients to make a cherished treat from my childhood, Amish style pickled Eggs.  I grew up in rural Pennsylvania on a farm.  We raised chickens and rabbits for food and tended a huge garden.  We supplemented our food with visits to the local Amish markets and that is how we learned to make Amish style pickled eggs.  If you like pickled beets, you will love these eggs.


First step is to boil up some eggs.  There are different methods to ensure the shell comes off perfectly.  I probably violate them all, but found my method works.  Pricking the eggs with a pin before placing in the water helps to keep the shell from cracking. I boil them for about 12 minutes.  Then immediately run cold water over them until all the heat is gone.  Then I let them sit in the water a few minutes to cool down and peel. 

While your eggs are boiling, boil your beets as well until cooked.  Save a 1/2 cup of the beet juice for the recipe below. Once they cool down, peel the skin off the beet. You can slice them or keep them whole. 

Ingredients:

8-10 eggs
12-15 cooked beets
1/2 cup of beet liquid
1/2 cup white or cider vinegar
1/2 cup white or brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (This is the secret ingredient. The taste it adds is subtle and amazing.  You can add a whole stick of cinnamon if you really like it)
 
Place all ingredients together in a canning jar and store in your refrigerator.  Eggs may be eaten the next day but are best (pink to the yolk) around day 4.  Eggs will keep for two weeks in your fridge (but they never last that long)
 
Let us know if you try this recipe and your best method for shelling boiled eggs.

2 comments:

  1. Chris B. of Durham, NHAugust 24, 2011 at 12:43 PM

    Here it is, Aug. of 2011, and you probably won't see this comment. I love pickled beet eggs and I am trying a number of different recipes to find the one I like best. I have never tried cinnamon. Here's my question: don't you boil the pickling solution before adding it to the hard cooked eggs???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I don't think its necessary to boil the pickling liquid first. Let us know if you try it. Also, check out our new site at www.foundfruit.com

    ReplyDelete